Do you want to know about the mainstay of cybersecurity architectures? It is unified threat management. By using UTM firewall, all sizes of the organization is empowered effectively and efficiently to manage the modern cyber threat.
Now you might be wondering what Unified Threat Management is? This is a practice which are the combination of IDS (intrusion detection system), and SIEM (security information and event management). It is also one type of security tool which proactively monitors the counter-threat of your business network.
This tool is so specific in security threat that it collects all other tools for threat management like UTM firewall, UTM appliances, UTM networking security, and much more. For every problem, you need to use a single technology vendor, which will minimize the complexity of dealing with your business and save management time and efforts.
Basically, the “unified” term is a bit of misnormer because this is the solution that replaces everything to protect your business from online, even from other platforms. Using the same protection can create the exploit or bug against cybersecurity so using different solutions can create the “defense-in-depth” strategy which will be even harder for the attacker to break your business network.
Unified Threat Management is not a small thing. It has different UTM security vendors which act differently for the different problem.
Here you will get some a list which is the part of UTM security solution. Those are below:
- UTM Devices: There are few UTM solutions which are hardware-based, and they co-located UTM device and appliances so that they can provide the cybersecurity for your business network.
- UTM Firewall: This is a fundamental component to filter out malicious traffic in business. This component’s main motto is to complete the cybersecurity strategy through both on-premises and off-premises.
- UTM VPN Networking: This Virtual private network help to anonymize the traffic of the business network. It makes the network harder for the cybercriminal so that they could not be able to intercept anything against your organization. This type of network solution employs VPNs to ensure outgoing traffic and protects from outside malicious.
- UTM Load Balancing: For using this appliance you need to use the physical and on-premises devices, UTM load balancers. These help to route the traffic with different databases and serves so that your business network gets the stability, during peak use time.
- UTM Data Loss Prevention: Few UTM security solution includes remote data backup which restores the lost file due to user error. This UTM Data Loss Prevention can be a savior for you to continue your business with the disaster recovery plan.
Now you might be wondering how does the UTM Protect your business? To protect any company is always a challenging task, and UTM is specialized in this. Here we will get your question answer. Those are below:
- As we all know, UTM is a single system, and it secures the network from malware, virus, and other malicious attachment by doing the scan all incoming data. It also uses Deep Packet Inspection.
- UTM starts preventing attacks before they enter the network with the help of packet headers.
- It does not allow all websites to enter by installing web filtering.
- It allows the software to get an update automatically with the latest security so that it does not require much manual intervention for initial set-up.
- It allows the administrator to manage a big range of security with a single management console.
Features of Unified Threat Management:
This UTM device (hardware and software) always tie together to provide you the best security features. It is very simple-to-use and easy-to-manage software. Here we will discuss the feature of it.
- Antispam services: This is one type of spam filter designed to block incoming attacks that are email-based (inbound and outbound). Before we get any sign where the attack is possible, it blocks that. This service uses algorithms to detect the spam, and send a scanning message associated with spam. After this the Bayesian analysis pattern includes matching certain words, specific language pattern, whole word pattern, etc. After these process, when the message appears like spam, that time content becomes quarantined.
- URL filtering and application control: UTM device is multi-tasker which includes the security of the organization’s network, filtering URL and application control. It also has a specific application that connects the internet for dealing with spam content and other security measures. It controls the all application and make sure that entering the traffic is protected with corporate network.
- Firewalls: This is a security measure which are based on hardware and software. It restricts the access of the private network while monitoring outgoing and incoming traffic between two different networks. It keeps unauthorized users far from the access of data like a file servers, web server, and printers. It has three types of firewalls which include circuit-level gateway and application-level gateway.
- Intrusion detection systems and intrusion prevention system: This is an IDS monitor that sign when a cyber-attack happens, and IPS have to take action against that malicious traffic. The moto of the IDS, to detect the abnormal behavior, where everything can be recorded, analyze, reported, etc. It not only blocks the incoming threat it also notifies the administration about this intrusion. Since this is the latest technology, it can alter the network traffic to block malicious activity.
- VPN: This is a very secure connection, and it happens between two computers through the public network. Usually, this file-sharing happens between co-workers by accessing data. It also allow other services for other parties who can intercept the data. VPNs protect the data from all unauthorized access when it comes to the public and private network. It also provides a secure connection which encrypted through the public internet.
- Content filtering: This method helps to decide which type of network can pass outside the network. For this, content filtering uses various filtering methods like Internet Protocol (IP), Media access control (MAC), and much more. This also gets used, to block the unwanted content so that it can protect against data loss and filter the outgoing data to prevent the sensitive information.
We hope this above article can give you the necessary information to help you to take further decision for your business.